Saturday, July 10, 2010

Week Three, I forgot my camera...

UPDATE: I added a few pictures, yay!

Maybe it was the thrill of seeing Mike and the family, maybe it was the joy that only the impending use of indoor plumbing can bring, maybe it was the three glasses of red wine Friday afternoon that made me forget to grab my camera from the kitchen... Boo!!!

I'm so lame! I was going to write a big post about Sunday night (4th of July), and Mike took some really cool nature pics of wildflowers and ants, etc., but I suppose for the next week you have to just imagine it all, because under NO circumstances am I going back up that hill until I'm back "on the clock" Sunday evening!




For fun, here is a random picture of pancakes (from week one, I think):



Oh well. The thing about pictures is a) I hope that they distract you guys from my crappy writing, b) you'll actually believe me when I write about the insanity, and c) they jog my memory about what happened/what we cooked each week

The weeks go by so fast that I can hardly remember all the things that we do. Right now, I can't even remember what we had for dinner each night. I guess week three is the week of forgetfulness...

Here's a random picture of Mike and the "spring" (I think it's actually a sag pond) that our camp is named for:



One memorable meal was Thursday night's Sauerbraten with sauteed red cabbage and egg noodles. Dr. Sapp (one of the field school instructors) requests this meal every year. The recipe comes from a New York restaurant called Luchow's, you can find the recipe we use here:

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/luchowrsquos-sauerbraten



Fourth of July was also a serious dinner. Cadie and I made a bunch of classics, and Mike grilled burgers and baked an amazing pineapple upside down cake. I'll post pictures next week, I promise!








I'm still having a great time. The students are working hard and getting along well. They're still having campfires after lectures and dutifully doing the most heinous of camp chores with relatively positive attitudes. No meltdowns (okay, this is scary, I hope week four isn't meltdown week), no fighting (nothing serious anyway), and no complaints about the food (amazing). In week four, more than anything, I hope to just remember my camera...

3 comments:

  1. Yummmm, i would like some pineapple upside down cake NOW! Glad no craziness yet, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this year's group and last year's just seem really exceptional. Usually there's a couple people causing drama but everyone seems really cool. I didn't want to take credit for it but yesterday Dan asked me to play some guitarra and I started playing Wind Cries Mary and it started raining. "What does this mean?!!! A DOUBLE COMPLETE RAINBOW!!! What does it mean?!?" :) I wish everyone could see how beautiful it really is up there and how hard Natalie is working, they might call it an easy bake oven but nothing is "easy" up there. Love ya baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun! And I do not remember any drama at my field school!? Well there was Rod! Oh yeah, never mind! LOL!

    ReplyDelete